|Ham and Cheese Stromboli|
Anyone trying to make gluten free Stromboli must have wondered how it might work out since we all know that gluten free dough behaves much differently than regular pizza dough. I wondered if I would ever have a Stromboli or Calzone again while maintaining a gluten free lifestyle. Well I’m happy to report that what I thought might be impossible is in fact very doable. With a couple of tips and tricks best understood while watching the video tutorial you will be able to enjoy these old favorites again. There was a lot of ground to cover with this tutorial so if you are left with any questions please leave them in the comment section below and I’ll do my best to walk you through any inquiries you might have.
· ¼ lb ham thinly sliced
· ¼ lb provolone
· 7 oz of greek yogurt
· 7 oz gluten free Bisquick
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
· egg wash (an egg beaten with a tbsp of milk)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190 °C
2. Combine the yogurt, gluten free Bisquick, olive oil, and parmesan cheese in a medium mixing bowl and mix until you have a smooth ball of dough with a consistency of play dough. I’ve found that using the back of a metal spoon in a smashing type motion along the bottom of the bowl works best.
3. Place the entire ball of dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and begin patting it into a rectangular shape. Use the edges of the plastic wrap folded in one at a time to clean up rough edges as demonstrated in the video. Once you have a fairly nice rectangular shape place a second sheet of plastic wrap on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough rolling from the center to the edges until you have a rectangle measuring roughly 10 x 13 inches.
4. Top the entire sheet of dough with ham leaving a 1 ½ inch border along one long edge. Repeat with the provolone then use the plastic wrap to roll up the Stromboli. Start with a fold about a quarter of the way up the width then peel back the plastic wrap before folding a second time. On the third fold you should end up with your seam centered on the bottom. Slip your hand under the plastic wrap for easy transport of the Stromboli to a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray.
5. Bake it at 375°F 20 minutes then remove it from the oven and paint the top with egg wash before baking it for another 15 minutes. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving it.