|Oven Fried Popcorn Shrimp|
I used to love Popcorn Shrimp as a quick go to appetizer yet haven’t attempted to make them since going gluten free. Lately I’ve posted several oven fried dishes using gluten free Bisquick and was pretty shocked with how well they turned out.
That led me to thinking that the same oven frying technique might just work well with popcorn shrimp too. I jumped right into the experiment. I’m happy to report it was indeed successful. It’s just great to have one of my favorite appetizers back in the recipe box.
Beyond being gluten free this version is also much lighter as well. Anytime you stumble upon this type of simple success in the kitchen, it is a good day indeed.
· 1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and patted dry
· 1 cup gluten free Bisquick
· 1 egg
· 2 tablespoons milk
· seasonings of your choice (I used salt and pepper, old bay, garlic powder, paprika,)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F or 230 °C
2. In a medium bowl stir together the Bisquick and seasonings of your choice. I added 1 tbsp paprika, 2 tsp old bay, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper.
3. In another medium bowl whisk the egg and milk together with a little more of the same seasonings used in the Bisquick, then toss the shrimp into the egg mixture
4. Place a few of the shrimp at a time into the dry mixture a toss around until well coated then place them onto a foile lined baking sheet that’s been heavily sprayed with nonstick spray. When all of the shrimp are coated spray them all heavily with cooking spray and bake them at 450°F or 230 °C for 12 minutes then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Notes: The shrimp used in this recipe were sized 31-35 count per pound. If you use different sized shrimp you may need to adjust your baking time up or down accordingly. When choosing your seasonings remember that the paprika helps to facilitate the golden color of the finished shrimp.
What a fantastic recipe for popcorn shrimp! We're happy to see that you've found a way to make a favorite gluten free to suit you!ReplyDelete
Hi Fisher Boy, Thanks for your comment and for the link to your site.ReplyDelete
Very nice recipe. Tried this tonight and it turned out well. Always looking for good gluten free ideas. This one hit the spot!ReplyDelete
Thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback. Hope you have an awesome week.Delete