|Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies|
If you like oatmeal cookies then muesli cookies will probably be right up your alley. If you’re not familiar with muesli, it’s basically rolled oats with a whole bunch of other healthy ingredients thrown into the mix. Beyond the oats it contains: raisins, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, cranberries, dried apples, almonds, coconut, crispy rice and dried soybeans.
And it’s the last two ingredients I listed, the crispy rice and soybeans, that I suspect are responsible for adding little crispy nuggets within the soft cookies to keep things interesting. And beyond the textural fun, I decided to add peanut butter to up the protein level and chocolate chips and additional cranberries since those flavors compliment the peanut butter so well.
What a success!
Let’s just say my daughter may have eaten these for breakfast every day during her Spring break last week.
If you are following a gluten free diet like me then you'll need to find a gluten free muesli. Bob's Red Mill makes an excellent gluten free muesli that's readily available in most supermarkets. If you can't find it at the supermarket you can easily find the muesli at Amazon.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies
Prep time: 15 min
Bake Time: 16-18 min
Servings: 22 large or 44 small
- ½ cup softened butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs and
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of G F flour (I used Bobs Red Mill 1 to 1)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups muesli
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (or 175ºC) and for crispy edged cookies either use nonstick baking sheets or spray a few cookie sheets with non-stick spray. Alternately you could use a silicone liner for lighter bottomed cookies.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar then add the eggs and vanilla and beat well until you have a smooth creamy mixture.
- Add the gluten free flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add the muesli, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries and stir until all of the ingredients are well incorporated and you have a thick cookie dough.
- For large cookies, use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to drop balls of dough onto the baking sheets and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Cool them cool on the pan for five minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.