Mocha Hazelnut Cupcakes &
Nutella Buttercream Frosting
If these mocha hazelnut cupcakes weren’t decadent enough, the dark chocolate Nutella butter cream puts these over the top for sure. Let's just say that these will be my new go to sweet treat when I really want to impress someone.
This batch was made for a recent party I threw to plan a baby shower.
You heard right … Baby Shower!
My oldest son and daughter-in-law are having their first baby in July. It's so exciting. This will be my first grandchild. Actually since they recently found out that it’s a girl, I should be saying my first granddaughter.
This should be fun.
Mocha Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream Frosting
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 23-25
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1 cup gluten free flour (1 used Bobs Red Mill 1 to 1 flour)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter (1 stick chopped into pieces)
- 4 oz dark chocolate (chopped)
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 7 oz Greek yogurt (at room temperature, I used 2% Fage)
- ½ cup coffee, cooled
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- (1) 13 oz jar of Nutella
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks chopped into pieces & softened)
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa, sifted
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted (optional add 1-2 tbsps at a time until sweet enough)
- (for garnish) ¼ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (or 175ºC) and line two cupcake tins with 24 paper liners.
- In a large bowl sift together the hazelnut meal, gluten free flour and unsweetened cocoa then add baking soda and baking powder, stir to combine and set aside.
- In medium bowl combine the butter and chocolate and microwave on high in 30 second increments stirring after each session until smooth then set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined.
- Add the yogurt, and coffee and mix until well combined then whisk in the melted chocolate mixture and when it’s well incorporated add the dry ingredients and using a rubber spatula mix until the wet and dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 24 liners and bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting beat together the frosting ingredients until well combined. Beat longer for a lighter fluffier frosting and less for a denser frosting.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool pipe on the frosting. Garnish with toasted chopped hazelnuts.