|Hazelnut Crepes with Ricotta Filling|
And with Spring comes the realization that weekend brunches seem to pop up a few times a month. People just like to get out more as the weather warms so naturally you’ll find more friends and family dropping by on the weekends.
Now I don’t know about you, but when people drop by, I don’t like to send them home hungry.
These hazelnut crepes with their sweet cannoli-like ricotta filling are the perfect plate for these unplanned gatherings. You can mix up the batter and filling in mere minutes and soon you’re enjoying these impressive crepes and your surprise guests.
Don't forget to put the coffee on.
Hazelnut Crepes with Ricotta Filling
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 3-5 min
Ingredients for the Crepe Batter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter (salted)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (I used bobs red mill 1 to 1 baking blend)
- ½ cup hazelnut flour
- additional butter to fry the crepes
Ingredients for the Ricotta Filling
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta, drained or with a dry consistency
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- reserved ricotta filling
- Nutella spread
- chopped toasted hazelnuts
- mini chocolate chips
- For the crepe batter, in a medium bowl whisk the eggs very well before whisking in the milk and melted butter then add the gluten free flour and hazelnut meal and continue to mix until the crepe batter is thoroughly combined then set the batter aside allowing the dry ingredients time to absorb the liquid ingredients while you prep the filling.
- To make the ricotta filling in stir together the ricotta, heavy cream vanilla honey and mini chocolate chips.
- To make the crepes, stir the batter again to mix in any settled ingredients and check that it still has a thin pourable consistency. If it seems too thick add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it looks right.
- Add some butter to a small nonstick pan over a medium low heat then add about ¼ cup of the batter and swirl the pan until the bottom is fully covered all the way to the edges and allow the crepe to cook for a few minutes until the surface starts to look dry and the edges are golden then flip it and cook it for about a minute on the second side.
- To assemble, add a heaping tablespoon of the ricotta filling to one side of the crepe and spread it over half the crepe then fold it in half then place it onto your serving dish with a second fold slightly off center.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar, another dollop of the filling, a drizzle of Nutella hazelnut spread, mini chocolate chips, and toasted chopped hazelnuts.