|South Philly Sausage Balls|
These South Philly Sausage balls are sure to liven things up at your Super Bowl Bash or any other party for that matter. If you've ever made a batch of Bisquicks original sausage balls then you know just how easy they are to throw together. In the classic variety, you just mix together sausage, cheddar and the baking mix until you've got a homogeneous blend. And once that goopy mixture is formed into balls and baked, they're ready to join the party. My South Philly Sausage Balls take it a step further by introducing flavors from the classic sausage and peppers sandwiches you'd find at an Italian street fair. These little bites are delicious either by themselves or dunked into some marinara sauce. And this batch was made with red peppers but if the Eagles, my hometown team, had made it past the first round of the playoffs then I'd have switched it to green peppers to show some support. Maybe next year. … Sigh
South Philly Sausage Balls
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 lb pork sausage- mild or hot
- 2 cups gluten free Bisquick or self- rising flour
- 2 cups sharp provolone (grated or finely diced)
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 175 °C)
- Sauté the onion and pepper together with a tablespoon of olive oil and some salt and pepper until the veggies start to soften and develop bit of color then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, crumble 1 lb of sausage into small pieces so that it incorporates with the other ingredients.
- Add the gluten free Bisquick and work it together until it’s well combined.
- Toss in the cheese and cooled vegetables and work it together until it’s well combined.
- Form the mixture into small balls and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake them for 25 minutes and serve with marinara for dipping.
- Make sure that the peppers and onions are finely diced so they don’t challenge the structural integrity of the balls.
- To make these in advance shave 5 minutes off the initial bake time then pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes before the guests arrive.