|Chili Cheese Roasted Chick Peas|
Roasted chick peas are an awesome grain free, gluten free, vegan snack. These Chili Cheese Roasted Chick Peas embody all of the flavors necessary to make them a big hit during the big game. But the cheesy flavor doesn’t come from actual cheese which wouldn’t work so well in this recipe. Instead this recipe uses nutritional yeast to add the complex nutty cheesy flavor that my vegan friends know all to well since it is often used in their mac and cheese recipes. You won’t believe how delicious it is in this recipe. If you're not familiar with the product, it might sounds kind of weird but nutritional yeast is worlds apart from the yeast that’s used to bake bread. But if you still can’t wrap your head around it, don’t fret, you can season these roasted chick peas with anything you want. To purchase the nutritional yeast that I used in the recipe visit Amazon here.
Chili Cheese Roasted Chick Peas
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 50 min
- (2) 15 oz cans of chick peas, rinsed and dried
- 1-2 tbsp chili spice blend (see notes for my blend)
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- coarse sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (or 190 °C)
- In a medium bowl stir together the chick peas, chili spice, nutritional yeast and olive oil and mix until all the beans are coated well.
- Spread the beans out onto a foil or parchment lined baking sheet (sprayed with nonstick spray) and sprinkle the beans with a healthy dose of coarse sea salt.
- Roast for 50 minutes shaking the pan after 25 minutes to move the beans around.
- Store any leftovers in a covered container but be sure to cool completely before storing to keep them crispy.
- Chick peas are also known as garbanzo beans or ceci beans.
- The baking sheet needs to have sides or the beans will roll off.
- I used 2 tbsp each of both the chili spice and nutritional yeast because I like them seasoned pretty heavily.
- The ratio I use for my chili spice blend is:
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp chipotle
- ¼ tsp cayenne
Hello Anne. Havn't been on blogger for a long time.Glad to see you are still going strong and your blog has improved so much.Love the cheakpeas.Come visit me too.Greetings from sunny New ZealandReplyDelete
Thanks so much for the kind words. I wish we had a bit of sunshine like you've got in New Zealand. I just tried to visit you on blogger but when I click on you I get the following message ..."The Blogger Profile you requested cannot be displayed. Many Blogger users have not yet elected to publicly share their Profile."Delete
I'm not quite sure what I might be doing wrong. I'll try again in a bit and see if I can figure it out.