|Blackened Chicken with Grilled Romaine|
Blackened Chicken with Grilled Romaine is one of the most upscale looking meals you can make in about five minutes. Do you disagree? I mean what are the other choices. Surely cold sandwiches or pancakes don’t stack up so well against this one when it comes to impressing someone. This dish is like salad for the chillier weather. The Romaine is slightly warmed and wilted on the grill pan but a lot of the crispness remains. And the highly seasoned chicken that’s cooked quickly in a screaming hot pan develops a beautifully seared crust while maintaining a delicious juiciness. You’re going to love this one. And it’s a great recipe to have in your arsenal during a season where we are all tied up with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.
Blackened Chicken with Grilled Romaine
Prep time: 3 min
Cook time: 5 min
- 1 chicken breast cutlet 5 oz.
- 1 heart of romaine (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 2 tbsp blackening spice (see note)
- Parmagiano Reggiano
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar (to drizzle over the Romaine)
- Turn up the flame on both a cast iron frying pan and grill pan so they’re ready when you are.
- Drizzle a the cutlet with a little olive oil and season heavily on both sides with blackening spice.
- Add some oil to the well heated frying pan place the cutlet presentation side down.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil onto the cut Romaine and sprinkle with some salt and pepper then lay it cut side down onto the hot grill pan.
- By this point the chicken will have cooked for 3 minutes and can be flipped to cook for two on the second side.
- Once the Romaine grills for 2 minutes on flip it over and let it go for just a minute before removing onto the serving plate.
- Top it with some shaved parmigiano reggiano or use pecorino if you want a sharper taste, sprinkle on a few red pepper flakes and drizzle on the best olive oil and balsamic vinegar you happen to have.
- Top the grilled lettuce with the blackened chicken and it’s ready to serve.
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp old bay
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper