It's Cranberry Apple Walnut Crumb Pie and it's gluten free so what more could you want. Earlier this week I was annoyed when I spotted a lonely bag of cranberries sitting on the bottom shelf of my fridge. It seems this lonely bag had escaped the holiday cranberry sauces and compotes so now it needed to be used. I certainly wasn't in the mood to make a pie but eating pie is another story.
I love pie and this one is worth the effort it takes to make. The tart cranberries play so nicely with the sweet apples and warm spices. But it’s the buttery bottom crust combined with the double thick walnut crumb layer that really makes this decadent. Now if only I had some vanilla ice cream. I'll definitely need to eat lean and clean to balance out this indulgence. But it's worth every calorie.
Cranberry Apple Walnut Crumb Pie
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Ingredients or the filling:
- 12 oz fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 3 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups of gluten free Bisquick
- 6 tablespoons cold diced butter
- 4-6 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- ½ cup gluten free Bisquick
- 4 tbsp cold diced butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 175 °C) and grease a 9-inch deep dish glass pie plate and place it onto a foil lined baking sheet to avoid any spilling in the oven.
- To make the crust, in medium bowl, combine the gluten free Bisquick and butter then using a pastry blender cut the butter into the gluten free Bisquick until you have a texture resembling fine crumbs.
- Stir in the water starting with about 3 tbsp and adding a tablespoon at a time until you have a fairly crumbly ball of dough. I used 5 tbsp of water in all.
- Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan then chill while you make continue with the other components.
- For the crumb layer, in a medium bowl, stir together the gluten free bisquick, cinnamon and brown sugar; cut the butter into the dry mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs then stir in the walnuts and set the crumb topping aside while you mix the fruit.
- In a large bowl stir together the cranberries, apples, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice. Once all the fruit is pretty well coated pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Spoon the crumb mixture over the top of the pie. Try to make sure you have it packed into all the crevasses and edges to help the stay together upon slicing.
- Bake for 1 hour then remove from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature before refrigerating to chill completely before serving.
|And Here's that Massacred Piece|
Post a Comment