|Spiral Cut Hot Dogs and Beans|
Spiral cut hotdogs are just plain fun. This franks and beans recipe takes the humble dish to a new level of amusement. That’s assuming that you find these springy spiral cut franks more amusing than their normal wiener counterparts. And the baked beans are just outstanding after a quick simmer with some apples, onions, and smoky bacon.
This recipe is a great example of what you might dream up when you try to think of every ingredient in new and exciting ways. The whole pork with apples and onions combination is classic for a reason. It works. Then once you add creamy polenta to the mix it’s like bringing the flavor of a corn dog with the texture and comfort of mashed potatoes. The kids are gonna love this and so are you.
Spiral Cut Hot Dogs and Beans
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- (2) 28oz cans of gluten free baked beans
- 1 lb pack of gluten free
- 4 slices of bacon
- One medium apple, peeled and diced
- One medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- To spiral cut the hot dogs insert a skewer down the center of the hot-dog then using a knife cut the dog from top to bottom in a one continuous spiral cut that goes as deep as the skewer allows. Then when you remove the skewer you have a spiral cut dog that’s ready to cook.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet until its crispy then drain, crumble and set aside.
- In the same skillet that fried the bacon, drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease then add the apples and onions and saute over a medium heat until they have softened and developed a bit of color.
- Add the beans, brown sugar and mustard and give it a stir. When the beans begin to boil, lower the heat, stir in the crumbled bacon and gently lay the spiral cut hot dogs on top. But be sure to push them down slightly to make sure they are almost submerged. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the hot dogs are done but be careful not to stir them around too much or they might break.
- I served my franks and beans over a bed of gluten free, quick cooking creamy polenta prepared according to the package instructions. Ladle the franks and beans over a mountain of the polenta, chop over a few fresh scallions and enjoy.