|Chocolate Raspberry Stuffed French Toast|
Of course cheesecake is never a good idea for breakfast, unless of course the cheesecake merely acts as the inspiration behind a healthier breakfast. In this chocolate raspberry cheesecake stuffed French toast, whole grain bread is stuffed with a low fat cheesecake filling, raspberry jam and semisweet chocolate chips before getting dipped into an egg mixture and prepared like classic French toast. Serving the final dish with fresh raspberries completes the illusion of a decadent breakfast. But this sweet treat isn’t nearly as naughty as its cousin the raspberry chocolate cheesecake is.
Stuffed French toast is an awesome brunch idea. You can make a bunch of different fillings and even mix in some savory options so that everyone can customize their favorite combo. But let me give you a word of caution, if you’re mixing gluten free bread with regular bread at the party. I’d advise you to set up separate stations for constructing, dipping and frying the French toast to avoid cross contamination. You certainly don’t want any of your gluten free guests getting sick because of a kitchen oversight.
· 2 slices of gluten free bread
· 1 oz of reduced fat cream cheese
· 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar, plus more for garnish
· 1/8 tsp vanilla
· 1 tbsp raspberry jam
· 1 heaping tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
· ½ cup of fresh raspberries
· 1 egg
· 1 tbsp milk
· 1 tsp granulated sugar
· sprinkle of cinnamon
· nonstick spray or butter for the pan
1. In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, milk, granulated sugar and cinnamon until well combined. Make sure that the bowl you choose has a wide enough surface area on the bottom to dip your bread into later.
2. Mix the cream cheese confectioner’s sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
3. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto one of the slices of bread. Spread the jam onto the other slice of bread.
4. Scatter half the choc chips over one of the slices of bread and close the sandwich. The remaining chocolate chips are used for garnish.
5. Dip the stuffed French toast into the egg mixture. Turn it over and dip the other side before lowering the whole sandwich down into a nonstick skillet, over a medium heat, that’s been either buttered or sprayed with cooking spray.
6. Cook it for 3 minutes on the first side before turning it over and cooking it for 3 minutes on the second side. Flip it back to the first side and cook it for one more minute before transferring it to your plate.
7. Garnish with powdered sugar, the fresh raspberries berries and remaining chocolate chips.