Stuffed Clams aka. Cherrystone Stuffies
Prep time: 20
Bake Time: 10-15
- 12 clams, scrubbed ( I used cherrystones)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (cento hot hoagie spread)
- ½ cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 4 slices fresh bread finely diced (I used Schar gluten free artisan white)
- 1 lemon zest
- About 2 tbsp butter (to dot the tops of the clams before baking)
- In a pan with a large surface area, add the butter and olive oil then saute the bell pepper, shallots, garlic and thyme until just softened but not browned.
- Remove the sautéed veggies and stir in the diced pickled hot cherry peppers and set aside.
- Add the clams to the pan with the wine or vermouth, cover and cook the clams until they open then allow them to cool reserving the liquid.
- When the clams are cooled remove them from their shells, dice and add them to the veggie mixture.
- Toss in the chopped or grated bread along with the parsley and lemon zest and toss it all together.
- Now spoon over the clam liquid ¼ cup at a time until the stuffing is sufficiently moistened. (I used about ¾ cup)
- Stir the stuffing mixture and evenly divide it between the 12 clam shell halves that you’ve placed onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Place a dot of butter (about ½ tsp) onto each stuffed clam and bake in a preheated (400 ºF or 205 ºC) oven for 10-15 minutes or until the tops are crispy and brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme and serve.
Notes: These can be made in advance and frozen but you’ll need to heat them for 20-25 minutes from the frozen state.