|Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies|
If you are looking for the perfect summer dessert to bring to the next family cookout, these Lemon Poppy Seed cookies fit the bill incredibly well. They taste like summer and they're easy to make.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Prep time: 15 min
Bake time: 15 min
Servings: Makes 45 cookies
- 3 ½ cups gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking blend)
- 1 ½ tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup butter, very well softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lemon, (zest for the dough & juice for the glaze)
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175 °C
- Combine the gluten free flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds and set aside.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest until fluffy then add the eggs and beat until well combined. (Scrape down the bowl as necessary)
- Add the flour mixture and continue mixing until you have a homogenous dough then transfer the dough to another bowl and chill for ½ hr.
- Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and place them onto an ungreased non-stick cookie sheet then flatten to about ½ inch. (15 cookies per sheet 3 x 5)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden around the edges then allow them to cool on the pan for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze combine the juice of the lemon and the confectioner’s sugar and stir until smooth. (optionally you can add a little more lemon zest to the glaze)
- Spoon a little glaze over each cookie and return to the baking rack.
- After glazing every 3 or 4 cookies, sprinkle them with poppy seeds before the glaze dries too much for them to stick.
- Once they’re all done allow the glaze to dry and they’re all ready to eat. (When storing pack them in an airtight container with a sheet of waxed paper between each layer to keep the crumbs from one layer from getting onto the glaze of the layer beneath it)
Love your recipes. Going to make them all. Thank you.ReplyDelete