Sweet Potato Pie Baked Oats & Maple Glazed Pecans
Have you ever had baked oats?
Let’s just say this aint your Grandma’s oatmeal.
Baked oats have far more texture than the mushy porridge that oatmeal can sometimes be.
It’s a combination of milk eggs and old fashion rolled oats combined with a touch of sweetness and spices baked to a final result that’s more reminiscent of a cake than a gruel.
Today I’ve added roasted mashed sweet potatoes and spices to make it seem like a sweet potato pie got all tangled-up with an oatmeal cookie. Then to guild the lily even more I’ve topped it off with a crunchy maple pecan layer just in time for the holidays.
It’s a great recipe for breakfast meal prep since you can make it ahead and reheat portions quickly in the morning. It’s also fancy enough to be the perfect addition at a holiday brunch.
You really have to try this.
Sweet Potato Pie Baked Oats topped with Maple Glazed Pecans
Prep time: 10 Min
Bake Time: 30 + 15 Min (45 total)
Ingredients for the Baked Oats
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 3 cups old fashion rolled oats (make sure they’re gluten free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for the Maple Pecan Topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (or 175ºC) and grease a baking dish with an 8 cup capacity.
- In a large bowl add the mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves and vanilla then whisk to combine.
- Pour in the milk and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Stir together the rolled oats, baking powder, and salt then add the dry to the wet and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes while you prep the maple glazed pecans.
- Stir together the chopped pecans, maple syrup, brown sugar and salt until they are all coated.
- Once the oats have baked for 30 minutes, evenly scatter over the pecans and bake for an additional 15 minutes. (45 minute bake time in total)
- Serve warm with maple syrup, butter, milk, or whipped cream.