In my last post I made a batch of banana peanut butter blondies and in the comment section of the Youtube video, Jim from the TOS Tinman’s Easy Cooking channel left a note saying I needed to make a Dagwood sandwich to go with that Blondie.
Why didn’t I think of that.
Encase the Blondie comic strip was before your time, Blondie’s husband Dagwood had a knack for concocting huge multi-layered sandwiches that contained everything but the kitchen sink. In my interpretation of the Dagwood, I focused more on the flavors you’d find in a South Philly Italian sandwich.
I pair the finest meats and cheeses I could get my hands on with a fresh grape tomato salad and some garlicky greens to add some freshness and acidity to juxtapose the richness of that charcuterie.
This turned out so well I’ll be having Dagwood daydreams for days.
Dagwood Sandwich – South Philly Italian Style
Prep time: 15 min
Assembly time: 5 min
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- provolone cheese
- pepperoncino cheese
- hot dry cured capicola
- genoa salami
- tomato salad (quartered grape tomatoes, quartered gaeta olives, capers, basil, olive oil)
- chopped kale (sautéed with garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes)
- To construct the sandwich start with a slice of bread, layer on the garlicky kale, provolone, Genoa salami and tomato salad then top with another slice of bread.
- For the second layer continue with more kale, capiciola, pepperoni cheese, and more tomato salad before topping with the third slice of bread.
- For the third layer top with more kale, provolone, prosciutto, and more tomato salad the finish with the last slice of bread.