|Summer Stovetop Granola|
This gluten free granola is packed with almonds, pumpkin seeds, sweet apricots and cranberries. It’s a delicious snack or breakfast that you can feel good about serving. And most people go crazy for it.
There are so many ways to make granola but most methods involve turning on the oven. That translates to heating up the whole kitchen which is not my idea of a good time on a hot summer day.
This stovetop method on the other hand will have you enjoying this deliciously easy granola in less than 15 minutes all while the oven stays cool. And since you’re right there with it the whole time it’s very unlikely that it will burn or over-toast which frequently happens in the oven baked varieties. The end result here is a beautifully crisp granola that’s studded with toasted nuts and chewy jewel toned fruit.
Who wouldn't love it? It’s better than an oatmeal cookie. Trust me on this one.
Summer Stovetop Granola
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10-15 min
Servings: (8) ½ cup servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free)
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- In a 12 inch well-seasoned cast iron skillet over a medium-low heat, melt the butter and coconut oil together then add the oats and stir as you toast them for 1-2. Add the almonds and pumpkin seeds and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and stir to distribute then add the maple syrup, cinnamon and salt and stir continuously for 5-10 minutes until the oats begin to turn golden brown and the nuts begin to look toasted and release a nutty aroma. Gently stir the entire time to prevent burning.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool stirring occasionally. Once cool, transfer it to a large bowl and mix in the cranberries and apricots.
- Store it an air tight container and serve as a cereal, over ice cream or Greek yogurt.