|Sloppy Joe Bake|
Sloppy Joe Bake
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup frozen corn
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp steak sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- FOR THE CHEDDAR SCALLION BISCUIT TOP:
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free Bisquick
- 4 tbsp of cold diced butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 oz of low fat grated cheddar
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- sprinkle of chili powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (or 205 °C) and grease a 9x12 inch casserole dish.
2. Mix all of the sauce ingredients together and set it aside.
3. In a large nonstick skillet over a medium high heat sauté the beef, onions and carrots until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent. It will take about 10 minutes.
4. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the sauce, corn and water and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to coat the meat without being soupy.
5. Transfer the meat mixture to the casserole dish while you make the biscuits.
6. In a medium bowl beat the eggs, milk and scallions together and set aside.
7. In a larger bowl add the Bisquick and the chilled diced butter. Pinch the butter between your fingers until you’ve got a coarse crumbly mixture. You could use a pastry blender or two knives instead of your fingers if you want.
8. Now stir in the grated cheddar and the wet ingredients and mix until the wet and dry ingredients are well combined but don’t over-mix.
9. Dollop the biscuit dough over the top of the casserole and sprinkle with chili powder. I got 9 nice sized biscuits out of the batch but you can divide it any way you want.
10. Bake it for 18- 20 minutes or until the biscuits are puffed up and lightly golden. And then it’s ready to serve.
Notes: Be sure to check the labels of all the ingredients used in the sauce for gluten containing ingredients.