|Orange Marmalade Cheesecake Bars|
These gluten free Orange Marmalade Cheesecake Bars have been lightened up just in time for bikini season.
Alright so maybe if you’re in your mid forties like me, your bikini days slipped away a few years ago. But that doesn’t change the fact that bathing suits will be donned in just a few weeks.
This recipe is the perfect way to have your cake and keep your figure too. It’s far lighter than my original recipe but it doesn’t taste like it’s been slimmed down.
And if you’re one of my rare readers that isn’t concerned with keeping it light, you can easily convert this recipe back to its full fat glory by using three bars of full fat cream cheese to replace what was used in the recipe. It’s true. I do have a few readers that are actually trying to gain a few pounds. And yes I’m envious indeed.
Orange Marmalade Cheesecake Bars
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 1 hour 5 min
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 7 oz gluten free shortbread cookies
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 16 oz low fat sour cream
- 8 oz of low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- the zest of an orange
- 2 tbsp of granulated sugar or raw demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F (or 165 °C) and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Line the bottom and extending up two sides of the pan with parchment paper.
- For the crust, place the cookies into a Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin until they’re as fine as you can get them. Add them to the bowl with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon of sugar and stir to combine until it looks like damp sand.
- Spread the crust mixture evenly along the bottom of the pan being careful not to disturb the parchment then refrigerate the crust for about 10 minutes to set.
- In the meantime beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth and lump free. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically with a rubber spatula.
- Add the eggs one at a time making sure that each egg is full incorporated before adding the next. Add the orange marmalade and beat until incorporated.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared crust and make sure it’s spread evenly over the bottom. The batter will have a very liquid consistency but after baking it firms up nicely.
- Bake the cheesecake bars for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until they’re set. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 4 hours, but overnight is even better. Garnish with the orange sugar, slice and serve.