|Spiced Applesauce Coffee Cake|
This simple to make Spiced Applesauce Coffee Cake is one of the quickest easiest cakes you can make. It’s mixed in one bowl and baked then served in one pan making clean up a breeze. Bisquick makes this cake even easier to throw together whether you’re following a gluten free diet or not. It features a simple, fat free, cinnamon glaze that only contains three ingredients which makes this cake lighter than if it were either iced or topped with a layer of streusel topping. But this moist cake is so delicious that no one will ever miss those extra calories. It’s the perfect accompaniment to serve when someone stops by for coffee. It's also a great addition to most brunch menus.
- 2 ½ cups gluten free Bisquick
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 ½ cups apple sauce
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 7 oz Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp apple pie spice or (1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp allspice, ½ tsp ground cloves)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tbsp skim milk or water
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175 °C and grease a 9x13 inch pan with gluten free nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl large bowl whisk the eggs and brown sugar together until well combined then add the apple sauce, Greek yogurt, melted butter, apple pie spice, and vanilla and whisk until everything is well combined.
3. Add the Bisquick and switch over to a rubber spatula. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until they’re well combined then stir in the grated apple.
4. Spread the cake evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan and bake it on the center rack of your preheated oven for 50-55 or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I baked mine for 53 minutes. Cool the cake completely before glazing.
5. To make the glaze, stir all of the glaze ingredients together until smooth. Start off with one tablespoon of the liquid, and add by additional ½ tablespoonfuls until you’ve reached the desired consistency. Use a fork or a spoon to drizzle the glaze on the cake until you have the coverage you’d like. Allow the glaze to dry for a few hours then serve.
Notes: Optionally you can add walnuts and raisins to the cake by stirring in ½ cup of either or both when you stir the grated apples into the batter. If you are not following a gluten free diet you can substitute regular Bisquick.
Post a Comment