|Loaded Chili Cheese Fries - A Lighter Version|
Ingredients for the Chili:
· 20 oz lean ground turkey
· 1 cup tomato sauce
· 1 cup water
· 2 cups salsa
· 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 tbsp brown sugar
· 1 tbsp chili powder
· 1 tsp cayenne pepper
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Fries:
· 3 lbs potatoes, scrubbed clean
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste
Ingredients for the Toppings:
· ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
· ½ cup Greek yogurt or low fat sour cream
· 2 green onions, chopped
1. For the chili, crumble and brown the turkey in a large sauté pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Add the tomato sauce, salsa, water, beans and seasonings and stir to combine all of the ingredients then cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes but longer would be fine.
3. For the oven fries, preheat the oven to 425°F or 220 °C and line 2 baking sheets with foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
4. Slice the potatoes into French fry shaped pieces that are roughly the same size. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
5. Divide the potatoes between the 2 pans making sure each fry has contact with the pan. Bake them for 25 minutes then rotate the pans and flip the fries and bake them for an additional 20 minutes. When they’re done sprinkle them with a little chili powder.
6. Place a pile of fries on your plate, top with a ladle of chili, grated cheddar, greek yogurt, and green onions.
Notes: To make this even easier you could use a bag or two of frozen French fries and follow the oven baked method on the package. If you take this route to be sure to read the label carefully to ensure the ingredients are all gluten free.