|Skillet Turkey Tetrazzini|
This Easy Skillet Turkey Tetrazzini will be a big hit with the whole family. It was certainly a hit with my daughter who just turned ten this week. She’s been treating her new double digit age like it’s a passage to adulthood. I seized the opportunity here by not only agreeing but suggesting that her food tastes would soon start to expand now that she’s more mature. Her eagerness to prove this newfound maturity had her nodding as she blurted out that I should start giving her two new meals a week since she was no longer picky eater since turning ten. Knowing how much she likes hamburger helper, I thought I’d start her off with a quick gluten free knock off. The ground turkey and extra veggies had to make this a more nutritious dish than her beloved favorite. Not only did she love it, she beamed as she told me how much her tastes really had expanded. All I could do was smile.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion diced
- 16 oz bag frozen vegetables
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon powder, gluten free
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup of water & 2 tbsp of water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 oz of American cheese
- 8 oz elbow macaroni, gluten free
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a saucepan with salted water and put it on the heat to boil so that it’s ready to cook the pasta when you are.
2. In a large skillet over a medium heat crumble and sauté the ground turkey with some salt and pepper until it is lightly browned then add the diced onion and sauté for 3 minutes. You may need to add little oil with the onion if your turkey is very lean.
3. Add the bag of frozen veggies and sauté for 5 minutes while you make the cornstarch / bouillon slurry by mixing the cornstarch, bouillon powder and 2 tablespoons of water together until smooth and set aside.
4. Drop the elbows into the boiling pot filled with water.
5. Add the milk and 1 cup of water to the pan with the turkey and veggies and bring the liquid up to a boil, lower the heat, stir in the cornstarch slurry and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese then the American cheese until blended and turn off the heat.
6. When the elbows are done drain them and add them to the pan with the turkey and veggies. Stir until everything is well combined and let it stand for 5 minutes. Stir it again right before serving.