|Chili Corndog Casserole|
This Chili Corndog Casserole is the best way to recreate the flavors of your favorite fair foods while still maintaining a gluten free diet. Many of you discovered that you were gluten intolerant well into adulthood. The memories of being able to grab a quick corndog or chilidog at the state fair are still fresh in your minds. In this casserole I’ve tried to replicate those flavors in a fun family dish minus the gluten and the guilt. The chili itself has less meat and more camouflaged veggies than most. The polenta on top combines the textural comfort of a shepherd’s pie with a flavor reminiscent of the corndogs and chili at the state fair.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
Ingredients for the chili:
· 2 hotdogs, sliced into ½ inch pieces
· ½ lb lean ground beef
· 1 large onion, diced
· 1 small zucchini, grated
· 1 carrot, peeled and grated
· 2 serrano peppers, minced
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 16 ounce jar ChiChi’s mild salsa
· 8 ounces water
· 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons of chili powder
· salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Polenta:
· 2 cups water
· 1 cup milk
· 2 tablespoons butter
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· 1 cup instant polenta
· 2 oz extra sharp cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190 °C
2. In a large skillet over a medium heat, add the ground beef, onion, zucchini, carrot, peppers and garlic with some salt and pepper to taste and sauté until the meat is browned and the veggies are wilted.
3. Add the hotdogs to the pan and sauté just until they begin to develop a slight color.
4. Add the salsa, water, beans, brown sugar, and chili powder, stir it together and let it simmer uncovered for 10 minutes while you make the polenta.
5. Add the water, milk, butter and salt to a medium saucepan and bring up to a boil.
6. Lower the heat then add the polenta while whisking to avoid lumps and simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the cheese and set aside.
7. Spoon the chili into a greased 9x12 casserole dish. Top with polenta and bake at 375°F or 190 °C for 25 minutes.
Post a Comment