Epic Bacon Patty Melt
Prep time: 15 min active 1 hour passive
Cook Time: 12 min
- 6 oz ground beef (I used 85/15 ground chuck)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 bread (I used GF Schar Artisan white)
- butter, softened (enough to lightly smear over coat one side of the bread)
- 2 oz cheese
- Form the beef into a square patty slightly larger than the bread surface, wrap it in plastic wrap and stick it in the freezer for about 2 hours so it becomes solid and easy to work with.
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread then turn them over and top them both with cheese and set aside.
- Wrap the frozen burger with bacon in a basket weave pattern as is demonstrated in the video tutorial.
- In a large cast iron skillet begin frying the burger by holding the burger upright with a tongs to sear each edge for about 2 minutes to crisp the bacon on the sides.
- Once the edges are all done, lay the burger flat and add the onions to the other half of the pan and begin frying in the rendered bacon grease.
- After 4 minutes on the first side flip the burger and let it coo for three minutes on the second side.
- Place the cheese covered bread buttered side down in another frying pan over a medium low heat to allow time for the cheese to melt before the bread over-browns.
- Place the fried onions on top of the burger then place the burger on top of one of the slices of toasted bread and cheese top it with more condiments if you want. (I used pickles, mustard and ketchup) then add the second slice of bread and serve.