|Gluten Free Crusty Olive Bread|
Do you miss good bread?
When you’re following a gluten free diet good bread can be one of the most difficult things to master.
I’ve discovered a way to make a crusty gluten free olive bread without all the hassle of purchasing and mixing countless flours to get a good end result.
The method starts with Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten free pizza crust mix. But even with a mix gluten free dough just doesn’t have the same properties as classic wheat based dough. Likewise gluten free bread can't be made with the same techniques.
Making bread used to be easy.
A few ingredients …some kneading, shaping, rising and baking and you had delicious bread.
The techniques I’ve devised and demonstrated in the video tutorial are the best I could come up with to restore simplicity to the gluten free bread-making procedure. It’s still not easy but it’s doable now. It’s actually so doable I’m thinking of making another huge loaf to make a killer party sandwich for a game-day feast.
The olive bread I made for this post was actually cut into half inch slices and served next to the cheeseboard at my daughters birthday party. Close by on the table I served some of my best olive oil to drizzle on the bed. I also added a bowl of fresh ricotta and small ramekins of pesto, fig jam, and olive tapenade to give the guests plenty of options to enjoy with the bread.
This is a perfect recipe for your holiday entertaining. holidays.
Crusty Gluten Free Olive Bread
Prep time: 2 ½-3½ hr. (including 2-3 hr. rise time)
Cook time: 45 min
Servings: 8-16 servings
- 1 pkg. Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Mix
- 1 yeast pkg. (included with the mix)
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- ¾ cup Spanish green olives with pimentos (sliced in half lengthwise)
- ¾ cup pitted Kalamata olives (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1 clove garlic (grated on a microplane)
- zest of one lemon
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2-4 Tbsps. all-purpose gluten free flour (for finishing the bread)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine the warm water and yeast package and let it stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and olive oil and mix until well to combined.
- Stir in the chopped olives, grated garlic, lemon zest and thyme and stir.
- Add the flour mixture and stir or beat until the wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly combined with no visible dry mixture is left the bowl then use a rubber spatula to bring the dough together into a ball.
- Turn the dough ball out onto a sheet of plastic wrap then cover with an second sheet of plastic and shape a long loaf that measures just under the length of your baking sheet. PLEASE WATCH MY VIDEO TUTORIAL ABOVE FOR THE BEST TIPS AND TRICKS TO ACCOMPLISH SHAPING THE LOAF.
- Sprinkle the parchment with about a tablespoon of gluten free all-purpose flour then use the plastic to help you move the loaf from your work surface onto the baking sheet. (WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL)
- Sprinkle an additional 2 tablespoons of flour onto the top of the loaf and use a pastry brush to sweep off the excess making sure to cover the entire top and sides then brush off the excess.
- Score the top of the loaf with 4-5 shallow diagonal slashes then score with 4-5 slashes going the opposing diagonal direction.
- Cover with a lint free kitchen towel and allow it to rise in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- Bake in a preheated 450ºF (or 232ºC) oven on the middle rack for 40-45 minutes or until it is a light golden brown and sounds hallow when tapped.
- Allow it to cool on a baking rack to maintain a crusty exterior
- Store leftovers well wrapped in the freezer.