|Grilled Brie on Canyon Bakehouse Bread|
What can I say about this one?
Grilled cheese is one of the simplest things you can make.
No one needs a recipe but a few new ideas can't hurt.
When the grilled cheese sandwich collides with the leftovers on your cheeseboard you may create something special. How many times have you put out a cheeseboard for your guests showcasing a bevy of cheeses, charcuteries, fresh and dried fruit, chutneys and the like? If you've got leftovers, I'd say you have the makings of some pretty upscale grilled sandwiches.
Today I paired slices of brie with thinly sliced pink lady apples and a healthy schmear of apricot pepper pine nut chutney. Wow was it good.
Brie melts wonderfully but the flavor is so mild I often feel like it needs something else. The apples added a tart sweetness while the chutney added some kick with its spicy chilies and buttery pine nuts.
Did I mention that while I threw this sandwich together my daughter created her own signature masterpiece with some leftover Dubliner cheddar, roasted red pepper hummus and a bit of salsa.
The cheeseboard leftovers do indeed have infinite possibilities.
Grilled Brie Sandwich
Prep time: 2 min
Cook time: 5 min
- 2 slices gluten free bread (I used Canyon Bakehouse)
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 2 oz thinly sliced brie
- 4 thin apple slices
- 1 tbsp chutney (I used apricot, pine nut pepper jam)
- Spread one side of each of the slices of bread with softened butter and flip them over.
- Spread the chutney onto one of the slices of bread and on the other side place the apple slices and brie.
- To grill the sandwich I used a dry cast iron skillet over a low heat to give the cheese plenty of time to melt before the bread gets too dark. Once the first side is golden brown, flip it and grill the second side until it’s golden and the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove from the pan, slice in half and serve.
I've made grilled brie and apple sandwiches...but didn't think to add chutney. Sounds SO good!ReplyDelete
Thanks, I didn't think of it either until I was putting away the cheeseboard leftovers.Delete
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.ReplyDelete