|Chicken Caprese Panini|
With Labor Day behind us, are you already missing summer?
Well you’re in luck since this Chicken Caprese Panini has all the flavors of summer in every bite. I knew that this sandwich would be fantastic especially after the outstanding success of that Grilled Reuben I made a few months ago using Schar’s gluten free deli bread, .
There just are so many ways to use leftover chicken. What's your favorite way.
This epic sandwich is actually the first in a short series I’m doing of sandwiches that use cold dry leftover chicken. The other sandwiches I'm doing, would make awesome additions to your game day soiree so be sure to check back soon.
Chicken Caprese Panini
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
- 2 slices of Schar Gluten Free Deli Bread
- 3 oz leftover chicken, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 tomato
- fresh basil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- salt and pepper
- To build the sandwich, smear one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- Turn the bread over and layer cheese slices on both sides of the sandwich to act as a moisture barrier.
- Evenly sprinkle over salt, pepper and ribbons of basil then layer on thin slices of tomato.
- On a separate plate, drizzle the chicken with balsamic vinegar and olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add an even layer of chicken to the sandwich then put it together.
- To grill the sandwich, you could use a panini press but I used a cast iron grill pan over a medium low heat to give the cheese plenty of time to melt before the bread gets too dark.
- Press the sandwich to give it the classic look.
- After a few minutes move the sandwich with a quarter turn rotation to make cross hatch marks then after another minute or so flip the sandwich, repeat on the second side and it’s is ready to serve.