|Chocolate Cherry Almond Tart|
Did you ever get a new gadget then develop a recipe just so you could make use of said gadget. Well folks, that’s exactly how I came up with this Chocolate Cherry Almond Tart. While doing a little back to school shopping for my daughter at Amazon, I picked up an Oxo cherry pitter and was just itching to try it out.
In scratching that itch, I’ve created a beautiful rich tart that’s loaded with plump Bing cherries and a silky dark chocolate almond filling that will make your heart sing. Did I mention the tart features a tender almond crust that’s similar to a French pâte ducrée pastry?
The dough is perfect for pie crust challenged individuals since it's more similar to a cookie dough and doesn't even need to be rolled out. Instead it’s pressed into the tart pan, then chilled, filled and baked.
Just wait until you try this one. All I can say is YUM!
Chocolate Cherry Almond Tart
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 35 -40 min
Ingredients for the Crust
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups almond flour, sifted
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend
Ingredients for the filling
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 4 oz heavy cream
- 1 egg & 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ¾ lb pitted Bing cherries
- 2 tbsp shaved almonds
- To make the crust dough, cream together the butter and sugar well combined.
- Beat in the egg. If you aren’t using a mixer it may have a curdled appearance at this state which is fine.
- Mix in the almond flour and once it’s fully combined, mix in the gluten free flour blend.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes then press it into the bottom and up the sides of a greased tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill the pressed crust in the fridge for 30 minutes or freezer for 10.
- To make the chocolate filling, add the chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl with the heavy cream and microwave for about a minute then after letting it rest for one or two minutes stir until the chocolate and cream are well combined.
- In another bowl combine 1 egg plus 1 yolk with 2 tablespoons of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract and beat until the egg and sugar is well combined and the mixture begins to get a little paler in color.
- Add the egg mixture to the cooled chocolate mixture and beat them together until they’re well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (or 163 °C)
- To fill the tart, place the pressed crust onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Pour the chocolate filling over the crust and spread to the edges.
- Arrange the cherries over the chocolate in a tight pattern then sprinkle over the slivered almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 min or until the crust is golden and the center just starts to set.
- When it comes out of the oven put the tart onto a wire rack to cool for hour or so to cool down to room temperature.
- Once cooled, use a smaller cylindrical object with a flat top to help you easily get the rim off.
- Place the tart onto a serving plate and chill for at least 2 hours before slicing.