|Quinoa Crust Skillet Pizza|
This Quinoa Crust Skillet Pizza is like fast food meets super food. Quinoa is such a nutrient dense little seed that I was excited when one of my Youtube viewers brought this recipe to my attention and asked me to do a video trying it out.
Although I was excited, I was also a bit hesitant because the recipe doesn't include and binding agents. In my own experience with quinoa, it doesn't have a sticky feel so I wondered how it could possibly hold together.
But, I kept an open mind.
Whenever I try a new recipe, I like to stay as close to the original as possible before making changes. That recipe can be found HERE. If you like quinoa you’re going to love this pizza.
The crust stayed together perfectly and was fairly easy to serve. You’ll be disappointed if you’re looking for more of a bready texture. This has more of a texture of a piece of grilled polenta with the flavor and slightly more texture.
All in all I’d call this grain free pizza a success.
Quinoa Crust Pizza
Soak time: 8 hrs
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (or 230 °C)
- In a medium bowl, add the quinoa with enough water to cover (usually an equal amount), then stir, and soak for 8 hours.
- Drain the quinoa if there is excess water after the soaking.
- Add the quinoa, ½ cup of water, salt any spices you want to add, to a blender or food processor and process until you have a smooth batter.
- Preheat a 10 inch cast iron skillet for 5 minutes then add the coconut oil and make sure that the bottom and sides are well coated.
- Add the crust batter and smooth it with the back of a spoon to reach the edges of the skillet then.
- Bake the crust for 10 -12 minutes then flip pizza dough and bake for another 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and top the pizza with whatever you want then return it to the oven to bake for another 5-7 minutes to melt cheese or put it under the broiler if you like the cheese a little more blistered.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes then serve.