Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cheese Crust Low Carb Pizza

Cheese Crust Low Carb Pizza
















Does a pizza that’s gluten free, grain free and low carb sound too good to be true?  When I first saw the recipe for this pizza crust made almost entirely of cream cheese and eggs, I thought, this can’t possibly work.  When I saw the recipe again shared on a friend’s gluten free Facebook page, I thought I really gotta try this thing.  To check out the recipe as I first read it on the Plain Chicken blog click HERE.  I followed the recipe almost to the exactly except for some slight adjustments to the baking times.  And the pizza came out very well albeit a little flimsy almost like I wanted to eat it with a knife and fork.  But after cooling for a little longer it became sturdier.  In my opinion it tasted like a cross between pizza and lasagna but it was good.  It might have even been better when I grabbed a cold slice for breakfast.  It was definitely easier to eat with my hands.   

Cheese Crust Low Carb Pizza
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min

Crust Ingredients
  • 1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese         
  • ¼ tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder

 Topping Ingredients
  • pizza sauce (with a low water content)
  • shredded mozzarella cheese
  • pepperoni 
  • sausage
  • red bell peppers


Video Tutorial






Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 175 °C)
  2. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer beat together the all of the crust ingredients until the crust batter is smooth like a cheesecake batter.  Scrape down the bowl periodically during the  mixing process to ensure that it’s well combined.
  3. Spread the batter into a 9×13 inch baking dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray and bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. 
  4. After the first bake, let it cool for at least 10 minutes then top the pizza and bake it for another 15 minutes.
  5. When it comes out of the oven allow it to cool for 15 minutes or so to firm up before slicing and serving.  

Notes:  The final pizza felt a little flimsy even after the short cool time.  I ate the first piece with a fork but when it really cools down it gets sturdier.   The flavor reminds me of a hybrid between pizza and lasagna but it was pretty good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...