|Gluten Free Cheddar Rolls|
Beyond these gluten free cheddar rolls being seriously sharp, they’re also seriously simple. This recipe was actually uploaded by a YouTube channel called Hatched By Two Chicks that I’ve been subscribed to for a while now. When I first saw the video I wondered how this recipe could possibly work without the use of either xanthan or guar gum to replace the gluten found in regular bread recipes. After realizing that I had all of the ingredients in the house I decided to give the recipe a try and, boy am I glad that I did. These rolls are very cheesy but also very chewy, a quality so often lacking in gluten free breads. I’m sure that I’ll be making these frequently. The dough is so easy to work with that I imagine it being able to evolve into new applications only hindered by the imagination. In the original video the amounts are double what I’ve done in my video because in the original, the bread was being served at a party. And after testing this recipe, I’d make these for a party any day of the week.
Seriously Sharp Cheddar Rolls
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 23- 25 min (for 50 gram rolls)
- 1 lb. of tapioca flour, also known as tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 8 oz of grated Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Cheddar, or whatever other cheese you like
- 8 tbsp. milk (or enough to form a play-dough-like consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (or 190 °C)
- Using a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, mix the cheese, the tapioca flour, baking powder, butter and eggs to get the mixture somewhat combined.
- Add enough milk to form a dough that won’t form a ball but will develop a play-dough like consistency and be easy to roll into balls. The original recipe video used almond milk but I used regular milk with good results.
- Roll the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. I placed (20) 50 gram balls onto a baking sheet which actually was too many for the pan causing some of them to stick together.
- Bake them for 25 minutes if the dough balls are (50 grams) bake then for 15-20 minutes for smaller rolls.
Notes: Here’s a link for the original video “GlutenTapioca Cheese Bread” and a link to the HatchedByTwoChicks Youtube channel.
These look fabulous! I make a similiar recipe from here: http://glutenfreegobsmacked.com/2010/01/gf-pao-de-quejo-aka-brazilian-cheese-bread/ReplyDelete
this also doubles as a great pizza dough!
Thanks for sharing the link. I just checked out the recipe on your blog and that bread looks fantastic.Delete
The whole time I was eating these rolls I was thinking I bet these would make a good pizza crust. Now I know it will work.
Do you think these would freeze well?ReplyDelete
Hi Jennifer, I'm not sure if these rolls would freeze well. If you click on the video, I put a link at the end to the original video. I know they make them all the time so I bet they'd know if they freeze well. Hope this helps.Delete