|Diet Soup for Weight Loss|
Let’s start the year off with a diet soup that might just help you stick with those resolutions. This diet vegetable soup is something I like to call my Mediterranean weight loss miracle.
I came up with this diet veggie soup a few years back to help maintain my goal weight range throughout the year. I find myself eating this low fat, low calorie high fiber soup at least once a month. It does wonders to help me balance out the other treats I showed you how to make this past year. Mixed in with all the deliciously healthy lunch and dinner options covered on the blog, I also did recipes and videos for almost 50 desserts this past year.
And even though I tried to use strategies to lighten up some of the recipes they were still desserts so whenever I found myself indulging in too many treats, I made some vegetable soup to get back on track. The strategy I use to maintain my weight is to eat smaller portions of the foods I love. Then I monitor my weight daily and whenever I see my weight creep up towards the high end of my weight range make this soup to help me knock off the pounds fast. All the chopping can be a little labor intensive but it’s also therapeutic. All the monotonous veggie chopping helps me get into the mindset of investing time in myself. Once I have a pot of soup finished I eat 2-3 bowls a day for 3-5 days. For dinner I usually eat 4-6 ounces of lean protein like chicken or fish with pan sautéed non-starchy vegetables or a salad and those extra pounds disappear. Give it a try. You can thank me later.
Diet Vegetable Soup for Weight Loss
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 large eggplant, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 green peppers, cut into smaller pieces
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- 1/3 of a head of cabbage chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups of crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tsp gluten free vegetable bouillon
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (or 205°C).
- Line 3 baking sheets with foil spayed with olive oil spray set aside. You’ll also need a 6-8 quart pot filled with 8 cups of water set aside.
- Divide the veggies into 3 groups according to how long they each need to be roasted. In the first group combine the eggplant and zucchini with 1/3 the crushed tomatoes, 1/3 of the chopped onions, 1 tbsp of olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt pepper and thyme to taste then spread the veggies out onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- In the second group combine the peppers, celery, and 1/3 the onions, 1/3 the crushed tomatoes, 1 tbsp of olive oil and all the same seasonings as before and roast for 25 minutes.
- And in the last group I combine the cabbage, grape tomatoes, and the remaining crushed tomatoes and onions with the same seasonings as the other 2 pans and roast for 20 minutes.
- Add all of the finished roasted veggies to the pot of water then add the bouillon, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste and bring the soup up to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley or scallions and serve.