|Jerk Roast Chicken and Root Vegetables|
This easy recipe for Jamaican Jerk Seasoned Roast Chicken and Root Vegetables is a perfect example of how a simple seasoning blend can easily perk up a run-of-the-mill dinner. Most people already have a love affair with roast chicken and potatoes so we’re starting off with a good foundation.
But instead of sticking with white potatoes I've added some sweet potatoes and carrots to make a root veggie mix that has a higher level of nutrition. And the natural sweetness in these veggies counterbalances the spicier jerk seasonings very well.
One of the things I love about these roasted meals is that after a few minutes of prep work prep work the dinner basically cooks itself without having to babysit it. As the temperatures outside are dropping, oven roasted dinners seem like the perfect prescription for making a meal that everyone will love. Just picture the aromas that will be wafting through the air as your family awaits this one.
Jerk Seasoned Roast Chicken and Root Vegetables
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 chicken (about 3 lbs.) cut up, rinsed and dried
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges,
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil (divided 2 tbsp & 1 tbsp)
- 4 tsp Jamaican jerk seasoning (divided in half)
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme (divided in half)
- 1 tsp hot sauce, optional
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (or 190 °C) and line two baking sheets with foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
- For the veggies in a large bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, potatoes and onions with 2 tbsp of olive oil, half the jerk seasoning and thyme and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the veggies out over a prepared baking sheet and set it aside while you prep the chicken.
- In the same bowl that you just tossed the veggies add the chicken, cider vinegar, the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp of jerk seasoning, the remaining thyme, garlic, hot sauce, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste then massage the seasonings into the chicken and place the pieces onto the other prepared baking sheet.
- Bake them for 1 hour or until each tray has achieved the level of color that you want then remove them from the oven and serve.
Notes: These are the spices listed on the jerk seasoning blend that I used in the order they appeared in the ingredients list: (paprika, onion, thyme, garlic, pepper, allspice, cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves)
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete