|Mini Crustless Pumpkin Pies with Walnut Streusel|
These mini crust-less pumpkin pies with their crunchy walnut streusel layer are a perfect lighter dessert for fall. The pumpkin custard is the same as you'd find in a classic pumpkin pie but instead of a soggy crust on the bottom I opted for a layer of sweet crunchy walnut streusel on top. Of course if you want to save some fat and calories you can skip the streusel altogether and serve this as a pumpkin custard.
But that streusel is so delicious that I think it’s worth the extra calories especially since this is a crustless pie. Some other ideas for serving include skipping the streusel and topping the pies with a layer of chocolate ganache or simply adding so whipped cream to crown this dessert.
Mini Crustless Pumpkin Pies with Walnut Streusel
Prep time: 10 min
Bake time: 50 min
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE WALNUT STREUSEL
- 1/8 cup gluten free Bisquick
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, cold
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (or 160°C).
- Put a pot of water on to boil, and grease 4 ramekins then place them into a baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, milk, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract until well combined and very smooth.
- Pour the boiling water into the baking pan until it reaches just over 1/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Evenly distribute the pumpkin custard among the 4 ramekins then cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- To make the streusel, in a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and Bisquick then add the cold diced butter and work the butter into the dry mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs then stir in the chopped walnuts and set the bowl aside in the refrigerator.
- When the custard is done baking, remove the pan from the oven, uncover and let the ramekins rest for 10 minutes to deflate a little. Evenly spoon the streusel over the mini pies and return the pan to the oven to bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes.
- Let the ramekins cool in the pan until they are cool enough to handle then remove them from the pan to cool completely. These can be served either warm or chilled which is my personal preference.
Notes: This recipe makes four ½ cup ramekins. For more decadent pumpkin custard replace the milk with heavy cream or half and half. If you are not making the optional streusel, bake the custard for an additional 5-7 minutes. If you’re not following a gluten free diet you can substitute regular Bisquick or all purpose flour for the gluten free Bisquick in the streusel topping.