|Gluten Free Lemon Drop Cookies|
These brightly flavored gluten free Lemon Drop Cookies couldn’t be easier to make. The five ingredient cookie dough is thrown together in mere minutes. Then, while the cookies bake, the tart lemony glaze is effortless to make. This is the perfect small batch of cookies to throw together in a hurry when you have a few guests dropping by. But the first time I made these, since I didn’t have anyone dropping by and I didn’t want to overeat these addictive little guys, I popped them in the freezer. A few days later when I was making a cheesecake, I crushed the cookies with a rolling pin and made a cheesecake crust with a standard recipe. It turned out to be one of the best cheesecake crusts I’d ever made.
Lemon Drop Cookies
Prep time: 15 min
Bake time: 17 min
- ½ cup butter, very well softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups gluten free Bisquick
- 1 lemon, (3/4 of the zest for the dough) & (¼ zest & the juice of ½ the lemon for the glaze)
- ¾ of a cup of confectioner’s sugar
- yellow sugar, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175 °C
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy then add the egg and ¾ of the lemon zest and beat until well combined.
3. Add the Bisquick and continue mixing until you have a stiff dough.
4. Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and place them onto an ungreased cookie sheet then flatten with the palm of your hand to reach a thickness of about ½ inch.
5. Bake for 17 minutes or until golden around the edges.
6. To make the glaze combine ¼ of the lemon zest with the juice of ½ the lemon (or about 1 ½ tbsp) and the confectioner’s sugar and stir until smooth.
7. Dip each cookie into the glaze allowing the excess glaze to drip off before placing the cookie back onto the baking rack. Be sure to have a pan beneath the rack to catch the extra glaze.
8. After dipping every 3 or 4 cookies, sprinkle with the yellow sugar before the glaze dries too much for the sugar to stick. Allow the glaze to dry before serving.
Notes: This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies but can easily be doubled or tripled. If you’re not following a gluten free diet substitute (1 ½ cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder & 1/8 tsp salt). The glaze should have the consistency of melted ice cream. If it’s too thick add more lemon juice, if it’s too thin add more of the sugar.