|Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Icing|
· 1 ¼ cups of gluten free Bisquick
· 1 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
· 2 eggs
· ½ cup warm water
· ¼ cup vegetable oil
· ½ cup Greek yogurt
· 1 tsp instant espresso powder
· 1/8 tsp cinnamon
· 1 tsp vanilla
· FOR THE ICING:
· 6 oz low fat cream cheese (3/4 block)
· 4 tbsp softened butter (½ stick)
· ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175 °C and line your cupcake tins with 14 paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the gluten free Bisquick, sugar, and sifted cocoa and set it aside.
3. In a larger bowl whisk together the eggs, water, vegetable oil, Greek yogurt, espresso powder, cinnamon, and vanilla until well blended.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth lump free batter.
5. Divide the batter among the 14 liners filling each about 2/3 full. Fill any empty cupcake wells with ½ inch of water.
6. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove them and let them cool completely before icing them.
7. For the icing mix the butter, cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth then add the confectioner’s sugar and mix until it’s completely smooth and lump free. You could use a hand mixer but it’s not necessary if the butter and cream cheese are well softened.
8. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them with a dollop of icing, and sprinkle on the coconut.
While I was frosting the cupcakes I was faced with some pretty loud protests from my daughter. You see even though she likes coconut, I should have known that coconut is a terrible idea on cupcakes. So rather than argue with her I just left the coconut off a few and opted for chocolate sprinkles instead. That's the beauty cupcakes. You're not tied to just one version like you are with a whole cake. So you can customize them in any way you'd like to keep everyone happy.
|Chocolate Cupcakes - Chocolate Sprinkles - No Gluten|