|Slow Cooker Barbecued Beef|
· 2 lbs lean chuck roast, cubed into 2 inch pieces
· 1 medium zucchini, grated
· 1 large carrot, grated
· 1 apple, grated
· 1 medium onion finely diced
· salt and pepper to taste
· INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE
· ½ cup of ketchup
· ½ cup applesauce
· ¼ cup cider vinegar
· 2 tbsp steak sauce
· 2 tbsp of honey
· 3 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
· 1 tbsp hot sauce
· 1 tsp red pepper flakes
· ½ cup water
1. To make the sauce, stir together all of the sauce ingredients and set it aside.
2. To load the crock pot, stir together the grated zucchini apple, carrot and onion and place it into the bottom of the crock pot.
3. Add the beef with some salt and pepper to taste and pour over the sauce.
4. Cover it, set the crock pot to low and let it cook for 8-10 hours.
5. After about the first two hours you’ll want to skim off any scum that rises to the top. If you won’t be around to do this step I’d suggest you start with meat that has been browned prior to adding it to the pot.
6. When the beef is done raise the crock pot temperature to high, remove the beef, and shred it before returning it to the pot to simmer uncovered until the sauce has reduced to a consistency you’re happy with and then it’s ready to serve.
Notes: While the beef was simmering I threw together a quick slaw to serve on the sandwiches. It consisted of 2 cups of shredded cabbage, a carrot cut into matchstick pieces a minced pickled jalepeno and two chopped scallions. The dressing was made by combining 2 tbsp of light mayo, 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of the pickling liquid from the jalepenos, 1 tsp of honey, and some salt, pepper and old bay seasoning to taste. Once the dressing was mixed I tossed it with the veggies put it into a smaller bowl covered it up and popped it into the fridge. Don’t worry if it looks a little dry, the vegetables will release some of their liquid and loosen the whole thing up.
This looks really good! I can't wait to try!ReplyDelete
Thank you. I hope you like it as much as my family did.Delete