|Oven Baked Fish and Chips|
Who doesn’t love crunchy golden fish and chips? It’s the best. But I’m certainly not about to fill up a frying pan with hot oil to make this dish for one or two people.
And I haven’t even mentioned the fat and calories involved in the batter dipped deep fried original. Many times that batter looks like a sponge dripping with grease.
In this gluten free oven fried version the fish and chips maintain all of their golden crispy goodness without all the extra fat and calories. Once you see how easy this one is to throw together I’m pretty certain you might be ditching your usual lunch fare in favor of this pub classic a bit more often.
Ingredients for the Chips:
· 1 large potato cut into 12 wedges
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· a heavy sprinkle of old bay
· a little rosemary
· coarse sea salt & pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Fish:
· 6 oz of tilapia fillet, cut into long strips
· 2/3 cup of gluten free Bisquick
· 1 egg
· 2 tablespoons milk
· garlic powder
· old bay seasoning
· salt & pepper, to taste
· olive oil, to drizzle on top
Instructions for the chips:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220 °C.
- Scrub the potato and cut into 12 wedges then place it into a medium bowl.
- Add the olive oil and all of the seasonings or other seasonings of your choice and toss until they are well coated.
- Place them onto a foil lined baking sheet that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes flip the potatoes and return them to the oven for another 20 minutes.
Instructions for the Fish:
- Cut the fillets into long strips and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a medium combine the egg milk and a sprinkle of all the seasonings or other seasonings of your choice.
- In another bowl combine the gluten free Bisquick with more of the same seasonings that you used in the egg.
- Dip the fish into the seasoned dry mixture, then dip it into the egg, then back into the dry mixture. At this point you could either set it aside on a plate, or repeat the process of dipping it into the egg and dry mixture again for a thicker coating.
- Place the fillets onto a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil or spray them with nonstick spray and bake at them at 425°F or 220 °C for 15 minutes then turn them over and bake them for another 5 minutes.