Monday, February 22, 2016

Egg Roll Bowls

Egg Roll Bowl












I love cabbage but my daughter wants nothing to do it.  The words sauteed cabbage have literally evoked pre-dinner tantrums on more than one occasion.  The words “roasted”, “fried”, or “braised” don’t fare any better if they precede the word “CABBAGE”. 

Let’s just say she’s got a cabbage hang up.

I don’t understand it.  I know that deep down she likes the offending cruciferous veggie because she likes egg rolls.  For a while I’ve been thinking about doing a one skillet meal that tastes like an egg roll.  

A few months back, I actually wrote a recipe and called it egg roll in a skillet but hadn’t had a chance to try it yet.  Let’s just say the recipe had been languishing in my “ideas folder” with the dozens of other written recipes I haven’t had time to film yet.

Since I’m always trying to keep my carbs down, I was recently scrolling through some low carb Instagram pics when saw dish called “Egg Roll in a Bowl”.  What a catchy name.  Surely my daughter would eat anything with such a cute label. 

And sure enough she did.  She even asked me to add it to our regular dinner plans.  And so I did.  I'll be making this at least a few times a month.  

Egg Roll Bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 1 tbsp oil (either sesame or a flavorless oil)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot sliced into long thin pieces
  • 5 cups of shredded cabbage (or (1) 14 oz bag cole slaw mix)
  • 2 chopped scallions, (chopped and separated white from green)
  • 1 clove chopped garlic
  • 2-3 tbsp liquid aminos (or gf soy sauce)
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • Sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for garnish

Video Tutorial: 


Instructions
  1. In a large skillet over a medium heat brown the ground pork until it just starts to develop a bit of color.
  2. Add the chopped onion, chopped carrot and saute until the onions just start to brown slightly.
  3. Add the garlic, the white parts of the green onion and saute for another minute.
  4. Add the cabbage and the liquid aminos or gf soy sauce and saute for 2-3 minutes until the liquid evaporates and the cabbage wilts.
  5. Garnish with chopped scallions (the green parts), sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...