Monday, October 3, 2011

Quinoa with Shrimp and Asparagus

Quinoa with Shrimp and Asparagus
This easy quinoa with shrimp and asparagus is the perfect dish to help get my diet back on track after the debauchery of that half pound burger with bacon I made last week.  Quinoa is not only a powerhouse of nutrition, but its mild flavor makes it a blank canvas that can accommodate either sweet or savory flavors with ease.  In this dish the lightly sautéed vegetables and shrimp along with the simple lemon and olive oil dressing help to give this dish a flavor reminiscent of the springtime.  As with all of my recipes, feel free to try other protein choices or veggies to tailor this dish to your own tastes.  There is no better place than your own kitchen to unleash your creative spirit.       

Ingredients list

  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 9 oz shrimp, cleaned, deveined and sliced in half lengthwise
  • 2 cup of stock, chicken or vegetable
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • ½ bunch of asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large clove of garlic
  • 2 Serrano peppers
  • the juice and zest of one lemon
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • old bay seasoning
  • salt and pepper

Video Tutorial:






Instructions

  1. Bring the stock to a boil then add the quinoa, lower the heat, cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, usually 20 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the juice and zest of the lemon and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. 
  2. While the quinoa is cooking, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a medium nonstick sauté pan then add the garlic and Serrano peppers and sauté for about 1 minute.
  3. Add the asparagus and tomatoes along with some salt and pepper to taste, then sauté for 2 - 3 minutes.
  4. Mix the shrimp with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, red pepper flakes, old bay seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Push all of the veggies over to one side of the pan and add the shrimp with another teaspoon of olive oil, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until all of the shrimp turn pink.  Remove from the heat. 
  6. Add the quinoa to the pan with the veggies and shrimp then stir everything together.  Serve warm or cold.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled on this recipe on YouTube as I was searching for GF ideas for dinner. I can't WAIT to try it! And I'm totally going to this week. I have been trying to work up the nerve to cook some raw shrimp--it makes me nervous--and this seems like the perfect way to do it. Plus, I have a huge bag of Quinoa taking up space in my pantry and no idea what to do with it. Thanks for giving me a chance to fulfill two goals. Well, make that 3. I have 2 GF kids and I struggle with making them dinner. It's my goal to have healthy and delicious dinners on the table every night. So...again...Thankyou! I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one turned out very well. I've got to warn however, that when my 10 year old daughter took one look at it she refused to eat it. But she tends to be a picky eater. Good luck.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...